What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to prevent ice forming on the floor of walk in freezers?

Started by , May 21 2012 01:48 PM
13 Replies
Dear All;

I need your help to solve this issue with regards our walk in freezers , the temperatures are maintain very well in all freezers , and because of getting high temperature , while openeing the door the hot air from out side will go inside and codist on the freezer seiling then finally will dropp off on the floor then become accumulated ice on the floor ,which is high risk because the staff who are entering the freezer might slip and fail down , so i need you recommendations on this issue , do you know a good material which can be fixed and covered the floor and prevent it from ice accumulations , (type of paint or somthing els?

please advice

Regards

Hygienic
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Hand Dryers vs Paper Towels on Production Floor Peelin, chipping or scratched paint lines on the floor. Researching Viscometers for use on the Production Floor CIRKUL water bottles on a production floor? Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor
[Ad]
Dear Hygienic,

The first step is usually to minimise the hot air inflow, eg auto-closing door / air curtains.

Uncontrolled traffic is very often the main problem.

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Hygienic,

The first step is usually to minimise the hot air inflow, eg auto-closing door / air curtains.

Uncontrolled traffic is very often the main problem.

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Charles;

Thanks for your advice, we had fixed a plastic door internally, unlike the main freezer door bill the same no avail , still the same occures .

Regards

\hygienic
Dear Hygienic,

Yes, yr set-up is typical but it still often relates to the frequency of usage (remaining open) (and temp. difference of course).

My experience is similar to yours but auto-closing main door + curtain made a big difference although the workers were less happy of course. Fork lift trucks also helped.

Many cold rooms / workers IMEX use standard, low. temp. compatible cement (sometimes with anti-slip grooving added) + (relatively) non-slip boots (not cheap plastic).

Maybe the air flow in the room is not effective also. Full of product ??

It's usually a combination of human error and design.

Rgds / Charles.C
You could try 50/50 antifreeze from an autopart store and spray it using a conventional spray bottle or tank type sprayer. Just be careful that it doesn't make the floor slippery. You should not need a lot -- a very thin film is all you would need.
SALT!!
Your main problem is to stop the water condensation and best way to stop water condensing is to have good airflow within the room and use of air curtains while door is open. This has hepled me.

MM

Yep - SALT....but you're only fixing the symptom and not the root cause
Hi All

I had the same issue with our walk in freezer.

When the doors opened and hot air rushed in it was condensing on the curtains and running down on the floor where it created a nice block of ice waiting for someone to slip on.
I spoke with the manufacturers on the unit and ask for a solution, they advised that the rubber seals around the doors use a heater strip to stop ice formation and that they are able to run a rubber strip across the floor with the same heater strips in.

We installed the strip across the floor and problem solved, we now just get a little puddle of water which we have put procedures in place to ensure it is cleaned up regularly.

Hope this helps.
3 Thanks

Hi All

When the doors opened and hot air rushed in it was condensing on the curtains and running down on the floor where it created a nice block of ice waiting for someone to slip on.
I spoke with the manufacturers on the unit and ask for a solution, they advised that the rubber seals around the doors use a heater strip to stop ice formation and that they are able to run a rubber strip across the floor with the same heater strips in.

We installed the strip across the floor and problem solved, we now just get a little puddle of water which we have put procedures in place to ensure it is cleaned up regularly.

Hope this helps.

Dear Adam Edkins,

Excellent post.
I previously omitted to mention that this feature can be a critical addition also (at least in the door area anyway) . In fact a professional system supplier will IMEX automatically install an underground unit at the door location. There is a slight risk that forklifts will crush the strip unless adequately protected.

Rgds / Charles.C

Hi All

Hope this helps.

Dear Adam Edkins:

Nice Idea , Thanks for the post .I think it will control much .But cleaners should take care while cleaning , water can affect the heating system

Regards
Hygienic

You could try 50/50 antifreeze from an autopart store and spray it using a conventional spray bottle or tank type sprayer. Just be careful that it doesn't make the floor slippery. You should not need a lot -- a very thin film is all you would need.

what did i just read ? NO NO NO . Antifreeze is poison and it SHOULD not be inside any food plant
2 Likes1 Thank
To prevent the hot air entering the cold store u can make the buffer area so it will help to reduce make ice on the floor.

regards
saqibfst

Dear All;

I need your help to solve this issue with regards our walk in freezers , the temperatures are maintain very well in all freezers , and because of getting high temperature , while openeing the door the hot air from out side will go inside and codist on the freezer seiling then finally will dropp off on the floor then become accumulated ice on the floor ,which is high risk because the staff who are entering the freezer might slip and fail down , so i need you recommendations on this issue , do you know a good material which can be fixed and covered the floor and prevent it from ice accumulations , (type of paint or somthing els?

please advice

Regards

Hygienic

Thanks Adam

Hi All

Hope this helps.

Similar Discussion Topics
Hand Dryers vs Paper Towels on Production Floor Peelin, chipping or scratched paint lines on the floor. Researching Viscometers for use on the Production Floor CIRKUL water bottles on a production floor? Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Protective clothing while working in freezers Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? Floor Scrubber-Floor cleaning machine Cases on floor in Cooler Storage Epoxy Floor Coatings issue