• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

Dear All,

I work for a cheese production plant, recently we are having a huge issues with thread moulds on vaccuum packed cheese. Please can someone shed light on how to control these issue, and is anyone anytime faced this kind of problem in their own industry. Please help me out.

Thanks very much in advance,

Best regards,
Jaggy

vasilist

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Everything about leadership, Observing people, Reading, Running, Electric Guitar, Data Mining, Inspirational Music, PC's, Composing music

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

Dear Jaggy,

do you use air filters? When was the last time you microbiologicaly checked them? From previous experience I have faced similar problems. However I have to tell you that a) I am not involved into cheese production and b) the cheese was cheddar slices in vacuum. For more details I am at your disposal (Linkedin link: Vasilis Theodossiou).

Best Regards

Vasilis

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life!

paulo tavares

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

Dear Jaggy,

do you use air filters? When was the last time you microbiologicaly checked them? From previous experience I have faced similar problems. However I have to tell you that a) I am not involved into cheese production and b) the cheese was cheddar slices in vacuum. For more details I am at your disposal (Linkedin link: Vasilis Theodossiou).

Best Regards

Vasilis

Hi,

I do agree with Vasilis, and also i'm not involved into cheese production, but you should also check you packaging material if the composition mantains.

regards
Paulo

vasilist

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Everything about leadership, Observing people, Reading, Running, Electric Guitar, Data Mining, Inspirational Music, PC's, Composing music

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

Hi,

I do agree with Vasilis, and also i'm not involved into cheese production, but you should also check you packaging material if the composition mantains.

regards
Paulo

Yes Paulo, thank you very much for your comment. You reminded me a case in which I found mould inside the packaging of the cheese because of that! Inside the plastic bag there was a small carton paper that the slices of cheddar was in contact. This carton attracted humidity and gradually moulds were observed! (Jaggy beware!!)

Thank you and have a nice day.

Vasilis

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life!

paulo tavares

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 13 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

Yes Paulo, thank you very much for your comment. You reminded me a case in which I found mould inside the packaging of the cheese because of that! Inside the plastic bag there was a small carton paper that the slices of cheddar was in contact. This carton attracted humidity and gradually moulds were observed! (Jaggy beware!!)

Thank you and have a nice day.

Vasilis

Hi again,

I was also refering to the permeability of the packaging. If there were a problem on the production of the plastic, and the wrong dosing of components, you could get a membrane that is impermeable to moister and pemeable to air, you have a perfect packaging for micro growth.
Other issue is the sealing of the packaging. If not done appropriatly it can induce the growth of moulds, due to the entrance of air, moister. And if you do not check your air quality and air filters regularly, it might cause such a problem.
A simple test could be made to check the sealing process. A bucket of water and some packagings. When you put the packaging in the water and if bubbles of air comes out of the packaging, then you know that you have a sealing issue.

Paulo

mat_CL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

-Check humidity range of that product,
- Room condensation?. Check ur cleaning program, are sanitizer working?
-Any recipe changes?
if yout did it, Do an acelerated test of shelf life
-Any building repairing ??
-What is ur vaccuum/packed machine?

do a brainstorming, and write them in a ishikawa..
Posted Image

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users