What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Hand washing water temperature

Started by , Aug 25 2011 08:32 PM
7 Replies
Hi...

This is my first time to this site. I'm looking foward to participating and learning from this forum.

I have a question to start with...I can easily find the required water temp for a hand washing sink, but I also believe there is a requirement for the length of time for the water to reach that temp (98 to 110 F).
Has anyone else heard of this, or am I chasing a non issue???
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Are hand dryers or paper towels preferred at handwashing sinks in a food production environment? Hand Dryers in Production Areas OPRP Hand Washing Procedure Hand Wash Water Temperatures GMP Hand Swabs
[Ad]
Dear Bradi,

Welcome to the forum !

I have a question to start with...I can easily find the required water temp for a hand washing sink, but I also believe there is a requirement for the length of time for the water to reach that temp (98 to 110 F).
Has anyone else heard of this, or am I chasing a non issue???

It's probably a non-issue although it might be a local reg.

This is quite a popular general topic, can try these threads-

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__42101

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__40289

Rgds / Charles.C
Wow!!! Love this forum, cant believe I am just finding it.

Thanks for the info...it was very helpful to read the previous posts!

Wow!!! Love this forum, cant believe I am just finding it.

Thanks for the info...it was very helpful to read the previous posts!

Glad to hear your enjoying the forum Bradi; thanks for letting us know and welcome.

Regards,
Simon
Hand washing water temperature.
To my knowledge the reason why hand wash water should have warm water is to encourage food handlers to frequently wash their hands. In some countries it is a requirement but I believe there are no scientific proof (correct me if I am wrong) that warm water reduces pathogens to a certain level during hand washing.

regards

Hand washing water temperature.
To my knowledge the reason why hand wash water should have warm water is to encourage food handlers to frequently wash their hands. In some countries it is a requirement but I believe there are no scientific proof (correct me if I am wrong) that warm water reduces pathogens to a certain level during hand washing.

regards

Well the answer was posted in the thread Mr. Charles C. already provided. As I recall, it was posted by sir GMO: "i) Hand wash facilities must have taps operated by elbow, knee, foot or sensor systems and not by hand . Water should be premixed to a temperature of 45-50oC. Handwashing must be performed at appropriate intervals."

Well the answer was posted in the thread Mr. Charles C. already provided. As I recall, it was posted by sir GMO: "i) Hand wash facilities must have taps operated by elbow, knee, foot or sensor systems and not by hand . Water should be premixed to a temperature of 45-50oC. Handwashing must be performed at appropriate intervals."

As I have mentioned before, hand washing reduces risks of cross contamination but not the hand washing water temperature. Warm water does not reduce the pathogens but they are more comfortable than cold water, thus encourages hand washing for a recommended duration.
FDA recommends a water temperature of 38 degrees Celcius.

This link will help:

http://www.fda.gov/F...s/ucm184207.htm

regards, Food safety boy
Dear
we need to use water temp approx 50 degree C, for 2 minutes with complete flow to meet with the hygine requirement of HAACP. and to avoid any bectarial affect on health.
regards.
ram.

Similar Discussion Topics
Are hand dryers or paper towels preferred at handwashing sinks in a food production environment? Hand Dryers in Production Areas OPRP Hand Washing Procedure Hand Wash Water Temperatures GMP Hand Swabs Converting Hand Wash Sinks to Hands Free Supplier reducing sodium in product - still have old packaging film on hand Hand Soap for Organic food production facility Hand Soap Refill Methods Hand Swabs of Food Handlers as verification of hand hygiene