What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Use of safety glass in manufacturing areas

Started by , Jul 14 2011 02:00 PM
2 Replies
Hello,

This is my first post although I've been using the forum for information for a while now.

We have a glass management system on site which excludes all glass but if there is no suitable alternative we state the glass must be suitably protected to inhibit breakage and for containment if a breakage does occur.

Having reviewed our glass register recently we discovered that some items have been installed on site which contain 'safety glass'. The definition of this is two layers of glass with an interlayer (usually PVB) which should ensure any broken pieces are held in place.

My question is - is this good enough or should we be considering laminating the external surfaces of the glass?

Hope someone can help!!
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Bottle Water Manufacturing New Hire Safety Video Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Glass Tupperware in a food manufacturing facility that has a separate Non-GMP lunchroom? Examples for Food Safety & Quality Culture as per FSSC 22000 V6 requirement SQF 9 Food Manufacturing – Module 11 clarification
[Ad]
If you have a shatter resistant film to a window my understanding is that it should be applied to the inside of the window, ie. the side that faces production/storage. If there's production/storage on both sides of the window I'd thik that film would need to be applied to both sides. Film should be designed specifically for for shatter resistance and be at least 100 microns thick.

Regards,
esquef
Thanks esquef, that was my understanding too but then I was told about the safety glass which is 2 x 3mm layers of glass sandwiched together with safety film

Similar Discussion Topics
Bottle Water Manufacturing New Hire Safety Video Do you spend enough time on food safety and quality improvement? Glass Tupperware in a food manufacturing facility that has a separate Non-GMP lunchroom? Examples for Food Safety & Quality Culture as per FSSC 22000 V6 requirement SQF 9 Food Manufacturing – Module 11 clarification Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements SQF 9.7.3.2 - Glass Inventory How would you measure performance to Food Safety Objectives? Food Safety and Quality Culture Presentation How are You Measuring Your Food Safety Culture Plan?