What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Storage of allergen containing ingredients in the freezer

Started by , Jul 03 2011 06:12 PM
4 Replies
Hi All,

How critical is storage of allergen containing ingredients (especially eggs and Milk) together in the freezer while in their secondary packaging. When I say together it means on different pallets and visually isolated.

Please share your expertises and thoughts.

Regards

Martinblue

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Appeal SQF Storage & Distribution NC Storage temperature of pasteurized milk Cooler storage temperature failure Including 3rd party storage and distribution HACCP in our own HACCP? Supplier Approval Program- Storage/Pick and Pack on behalf customers (suppliers)
[Ad]
If you're talking about BRC, I suggest you risk assess

Seriously there are freezers and there are freezers. If your staff take part of a box and are rubbish about resealing it; then you might have an issue. If you use a box at a time then you're probably ok. Just look at your risks and see whether they're acceptable and if they could be controlled further.
You need to do a risk assessment and clearly document this as auditors will probably ask to see it

My view is that if you don't have the facilities to store in separate freezers, they should be physically separated and allergen containing ingredients should not be stored above ingredients with none or different allergens. You should also have a procedure in place for clearing up any spillages.

Training is key; all employees should be aware of which ingedients contain allergens and where they can be stored; I find that a list on a wall nearby helps
[quote name='Martinblue' timestamp='1309716726' post='47016']
Hi All,

How critical is storage of allergen containing ingredients (especially eggs and Milk) together in the freezer while in their secondary packaging. When I say together it means on different pallets and visually isolated.

Please share your expertises and thoughts.

Regards

Martinblue

Dear Martinblue
The ideal storage condition of egg and milk is the refrigeration not freezing.
eg: Keep eggs refrigerated at 4° C (40 ° F) or lower at all times.
Wishes,
Youssef
Thanks from my side too !.. seriously i too did't know that

Similar Discussion Topics
Appeal SQF Storage & Distribution NC Storage temperature of pasteurized milk Cooler storage temperature failure Including 3rd party storage and distribution HACCP in our own HACCP? Supplier Approval Program- Storage/Pick and Pack on behalf customers (suppliers) Interim storage of food in aluminium bins Minimum air turns per hour in a processing suite and cold storage suite HACCP and BRC accreditation for a UK storage and distribution business Food Fraud for Storage and Distribution Warehouse Is freezer and refrigerator storage considered prps?