• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does BRC require full stock rotation - as in FIFO?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

Does BRC require full stock rotation? as in First in first out , both for raw materials, (packaging) and for finished product. Came up at the MRM and I couldn't answer definitively... there is emphasis on traceability bit no mention that I coud see of stock rotation... Our product is fresh and frozen and is sold on basis of size so we cannot necessarily maintain stock rotation... although obviously all stock is within shelf life prior to dispatch

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 327 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:03 AM

The BRC requires effective stock control management consistent with the safe production and supply of food products. What this means depends on your process, products and customer requirements. This does not always mean a 'First-in, First-out' approach. FIFO is applied fine to non-food or non-shelf life dependent raw materials. However, when the durability of materials and products are taken into account a different approach may be required.

For example your stock control system must ensure that raw materials are used within the agreed shelf-life. Therefore older materials should be used first regardless of when they came in. You may also need to consider the order of use. For fresh product the maturity of the materials may determine their order of use.

For final product you will need to consider systems for managing minimum and maximum shelf-life when delivering product to your customer. Larger retailers will require a minimum shelf life when delivered to their store i.e. the minimum number of days that must be on product until its end of shelf life. They will often require this to be agreed and defined in specifications.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5673 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:45 AM

Dear trubertq,

What is MRM ? Something Royal perhaps ? :smile:

Specific answers are most reliable for specific data, eg product XYZ. I seem to recall you work with (sensitive) seafood ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 266 posts
  • 96 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

Mr. Howlett's comments are right on target. We further process fresh chicken parts, and 2 trucks arriving at the same time may have a couple day's difference in product age. You do need to define your inventory control process on your program(s).

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:03 PM

Haha Charles... MRM = Management review Meeting :doh:

Yes we work with (sensitive) Seafood but we do our best not to offend them too much during the process.

and I will mention Inventory control process... see whose head expodes first...:whistle:

Trubert

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users