Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 225 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:19 AM

Go natural! Do not take sleeping pills. There are at least 5 readily available foods that help you sleep. I personally recommend warm milk as best food among them as it not only helps you for better sleep but also serve as a good source of saturated fat, protein and calcium as well as vitamin C. It is one of the best natural energy drinks.

For more information: http://health.yahoo....-help-you-sleep

Regards:
M.Zeeshan

Edited by Zeeshan, 22 February 2011 - 05:20 AM.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,856 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

I have trouble sleeping, it takes me an age to get to sleep and I wake frequently and rise early. For around 11 years I've suffered with Myclonas or some other unspecified twitching and RLS. I've had every test known to man including brain scans, central nervous system check and sleep studies, but nothing specific found. I put it down to stress and lifestyle as it worsens when I'm under pressure. Now what happened 11 years ago...oh yes I became a father of twin boys. Recently I need to get up a couple of times a night to urinate which compounds the situation. When it’s really bad I get up and do some exercises like touching my toes 50 times, which alleviate the problem somewhat. I stopped drinking tea / coffee after 6.00 p.m. and that made a difference (I think). I’ve also tried lots of different herbal remedies and even clonazepam, but I didn’t like that stuff. Before anyone mentions it alcohol isn’t a long term solution. I suppose I’m used to 5 hours a night on and off and will most probably be like this for the rest of my days… :tired:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 225 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:42 AM

I have trouble sleeping, it takes me an age to get to sleep and I wake frequently and rise early. For around 11 years I've suffered with Myclonas or some other unspecified twitching and RLS. I've had every test known to man including brain scans, central nervous system check and sleep studies, but nothing specific found. I put it down to stress and lifestyle as it worsens when I'm under pressure. Now what happened 11 years ago...oh yes I became a father of twin boys. Recently I need to get up a couple of times a night to urinate which compounds the situation. When it’s really bad I get up and do some exercises like touching my toes 50 times, which alleviate the problem somewhat. I stopped drinking tea / coffee after 6.00 p.m. and that made a difference (I think). I’ve also tried lots of different herbal remedies and even clonazepam, but I didn’t like that stuff. Before anyone mentions it alcohol isn’t a long term solution. I suppose I’m used to 5 hours a night on and off and will most probably be like this for the rest of my days… :tired:

A real sad story :(.

Have you ever tried any of the foods mentioned in the article? If not, please give them a try too and let us inform your experience.
You should also give a try to following golden proven principles:
1- Daily time-bound routine of exercise especially in the prime morning. (no excuses at all!).
2- Less tea, Less coffee, No alcoholic drinks.
3- No sleeping pills. These ruin the natural sleeping system.

May God help you to get out of this problem.

Regards:
M.Zeeshan.

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:08 AM

Dear Zeeshan,

I get bad every time I hear word "sleeping pills". My ex husband was taking sleeping pills to get asleep years before I met him. He got addicted to them slowly after motorbike accident and finally started using (smoking) other drugs to get high Posted Image He started when I was 6 months pregnant with my first child it was terrible... I was trying to save him, gave a chance after chance, he had about 1 year "clean" period, I gave birth to our second child (not planned) and the same night when I was at the hospital with new born baby he made a car accident being affected by some heroin. That was the last drop. Long sad story. Big waist of my time and energy to save a family.
So sleeping pills is a big No in my life and probably I have a kind of paranoia that if a person is taking sleeping pills he/she'll become a junky Posted Image

Dear Simon,
at least you've been trying to solve this problem trying and finding different natural ways to help yourself. That is the best what you could do. I'm thinking that also you must be sitting a lot in front of computer, as this super forum requires a lot of your time, I guess. I've noticed every time I sit too long by PC I can't fell asleep afterwards. Could PC be a problem as well?

Best regards from Inesa

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,915 posts
  • 738 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:11 AM

Since I became pregnant I stopped drinking all caffeinated drinks. Helps me sleep a lot better. Also I think it's fascinating but at least part of the reason warm milk helps is it reminds you of being fed as a baby. I think if you look at baby sleep it's good for giving you tips on how to improve adult sleep:

1. Have a bedtime routine
2. Remove distracting things from the bedroom.
3. Keep your bedroom dark, use blackout curtains
4. Have a warm milky drink before bed

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,856 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

A real sad story :(.

Have you ever tried any of the foods mentioned in the article? If not, please give them a try too and let us inform your experience.
You should also give a try to following golden proven principles:
1- Daily time-bound routine of exercise especially in the prime morning. (no excuses at all!).
2- Less tea, Less coffee, No alcoholic drinks.
3- No sleeping pills. These ruin the natural sleeping system.

May God help you to get out of this problem.

Regards:
M.Zeeshan.

Not really sad, it's more of an inconvenience, I can function ok every day and it could be worse. I'm lucky. Thanks for the tips and I will check out the food.

Dear Zeeshan,

I get bad every time I hear word "sleeping pills". My ex husband was taking sleeping pills to get asleep years before I met him. He got addicted to them slowly after motorbike accident and finally started using (smoking) other drugs to get high Posted Image He started when I was 6 months pregnant with my first child it was terrible... I was trying to save him, gave a chance after chance, he had about 1 year "clean" period, I gave birth to our second child (not planned) and the same night when I was at the hospital with new born baby he made a car accident being affected by some heroin. That was the last drop. Long sad story. Big waist of my time and energy to save a family.
So sleeping pills is a big No in my life and probably I have a kind of paranoia that if a person is taking sleeping pills he/she'll become a junky Posted Image

Dear Simon,
at least you've been trying to solve this problem trying and finding different natural ways to help yourself. That is the best what you could do. I'm thinking that also you must be sitting a lot in front of computer, as this super forum requires a lot of your time, I guess. I've noticed every time I sit too long by PC I can't fell asleep afterwards. Could PC be a problem as well?

Best regards from Inesa

That really is an incredible story Inesa, thanks for sharing. You must be a tough cookie, especially to study aswell. Well done to you. :clap:

Since I became pregnant I stopped drinking all caffeinated drinks. Helps me sleep a lot better. Also I think it's fascinating but at least part of the reason warm milk helps is it reminds you of being fed as a baby. I think if you look at baby sleep it's good for giving you tips on how to improve adult sleep:

1. Have a bedtime routine
2. Remove distracting things from the bedroom.
3. Keep your bedroom dark, use blackout curtains
4. Have a warm milky drink before bed

I want to be a baby again. :smile:

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,856 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

BTW I agree the computer must have a major part to play. Also I think a lot and my brain never sleeps, I have a lot of ideas in bed, especially around 5 a.m. until 8 a.m. Yes I'm strange. :thumbup:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,915 posts
  • 738 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

Have a notepad by your bed so you can jot them down. It's quite common to have good ideas while in a semi dosing / semi awake sleep state as your brain wanders on less logical lines. You can think of things which you might not have thought of if you were constrained by your normal thought patterns and "style" of thinking.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

Thanks Simon, I'm a very stubborn person and this helps to move forward.

GMO, warm milk is nice, but some people, like me, get a very sour taste in the mouth during the night. In this case, various tea of calming herbs and candle light is a better solution.

Edited by Inesa, 23 February 2011 - 02:20 PM.

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 225 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:17 AM

BTW I agree the computer must have a major part to play. Also I think a lot and my brain never sleeps, I have a lot of ideas in bed, especially around 5 a.m. until 8 a.m. Yes I'm strange. :thumbup:

Have a notepad by your bed so you can jot them down. It's quite common to have good ideas while in a semi dosing / semi awake sleep state as your brain wanders on less logical lines. You can think of things which you might not have thought of if you were constrained by your normal thought patterns and "style" of thinking.

Nice suggestion GMO!

My boss recently told me a short but interesting real story of a scholar. He was going with his friend to somewhere. While moving, he was in deep thought. Suddenly he stopped, put his small diary from his pocket and jot down some thing on the paper. Then he turned to his friend, smiled and said, "You see, I have transferred the burden on my brain to the paper."

Most of the time we can not realize every thing which our brain is thinking. The best way is to transfer them on the paper, arrange them on high, medium and low priority and initiate each one on priority-basis.

Regards:
M.Zeeshan

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users