What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Storing of food - maintaining stock rotation or FIFO system

Started by , Feb 03 2011 04:53 PM
13 Replies
Dear All :

In order to control the goods (food ) received in our catering , theses food items will be stored according to theire conditions , the chilled food will be stored in the cold rooms, if its dry will be stored in dry store , etc... so all foods with theire suppliers entered on the computer , but we always fail in control the stock rotation or FIFO system , because the system which the purchasing and store dep followed is old , do you new system on the computer can be implemented and can be helpfull to control and monitor the goods .

Regards
hygienic
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP for storing and distributing packaging for food products Food Safety Concerns Storing CBD (Cannabidiol) in (Food and Beverages) Storing food ingredients in same warehouse as food contact packaging Plexiglass for storing glove boxes Is receiving raw materials and storing them a PRP or OPRP?
[Ad]
ERP or SAP is good for managing the inventory. Based on your requirements, the IT conssultant can easily develop the program. FIFO and FEFO are different. In food industry all FIFO is applicable for the goods under preparation. FEFO is applicable in store. To execute a good First expiry first out sytem,
1. Record Expiry date in Raw material Inspection sheet
2. Immediately stack in the store as per Firsty expiry rotation
3. Maintain a first Expiry first out rotation report ( Product name- Product code- first Expity ( red color), second expiry ( yellow), third expiry( green)- This can be labeled on the rack to understand the expiry dates available for each product.
4. Isuue the product thorugh a MAterial Requisition with expiry date
5. A second control of raw material inspection can be given to kitchen store keeper also.
6. Daily requisition from chefs can be introduced. Expiry date should be added in the format.

This will help to trace/rotate the product without any ERP or software prog

To control the inventory, physical inventory to be taken at the end of every month. If the ware house is huge, assign the section wise physical inventory to different HODs. If your stock is wrong, your food costing will be wrong. So be sure on all the aspects to avoid any surprises..........

Regards
Jomy Abraham

Dear All :

In order to control the goods (food ) received in our catering , theses food items will be stored according to theire conditions , the chilled food will be stored in the cold rooms, if its dry will be stored in dry store , etc... so all foods with theire suppliers entered on the computer , but we always fail in control the stock rotation or FIFO system , because the system which the purchasing and store dep followed is old , do you new system on the computer can be implemented and can be helpfull to control and monitor the goods .

Regards
hygienic

3 Thanks

ERP or SAP is good for managing the inventory. Based on your requirements, the IT conssultant can easily develop the program. FIFO and FEFO are different. In food industry all FIFO is applicable for the goods under preparation. FEFO is applicable in store. To execute a good First expiry first out sytem,
1. Record Expiry date in Raw material Inspection sheet
2. Immediately stack in the store as per Firsty expiry rotation
3. Maintain a first Expiry first out rotation report ( Product name- Product code- first Expity ( red color), second expiry ( yellow), third expiry( green)- This can be labeled on the rack to understand the expiry dates available for each product.
4. Isuue the product thorugh a MAterial Requisition with expiry date
5. A second control of raw material inspection can be given to kitchen store keeper also.
6. Daily requisition from chefs can be introduced. Expiry date should be added in the format.

This will help to trace/rotate the product without any ERP or software prog

To control the inventory, physical inventory to be taken at the end of every month. If the ware house is huge, assign the section wise physical inventory to different HODs. If your stock is wrong, your food costing will be wrong. So be sure on all the aspects to avoid any surprises..........

Regards
Jomy Abraham

Dear Jomy :

Nice , but I think the ERP software system is costly , any way maintaining the records are very important , to trace back if there is any thing happened.
but if there is a huge food store then controling in this point maybe diffecult .
Thanks againg for your help in this .

Regards
Hygienic
If cost is a factor, excel is one of the best tool to manage your inventory...Doesnt matter whether its Huge or small store . Think, Taking the challege of rectifying the inventory is better or reducing the figure in P&L is better. Its upto your management. If the store is huge, its better to have an inventory management software.

Take the challenge and use the platform to display your capabilities...If its your own unit, you must ensure the inventory control. An organization can be demolished due to wrong inventory reports ( Physical stock Vs System stock- P& L will be fake in this case)

Regards
Jomy Abraham

Dear Jomy :

but if there is a huge food store then controling in this point maybe diffecult .

Regards
Hygienic

I recently come-up with a INNOVATIVE AND EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS FOR FOOD PRODUCTION, WAREHOUSING AND LOGISTICS' by CSB-System International
their website is www.csb-system.com & it is representing in more than 40 countries worldwide.

I recently come-up with a INNOVATIVE AND EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS FOR FOOD PRODUCTION, WAREHOUSING AND LOGISTICS' by CSB-System International
their website is www.csb-system.com & it is representing in more than 40 countries worldwide.

Dear AbdulQudoos:

Many thanks for the Website , interested system .

Regards
1 Thank
if you dont have a huge warehouse to maintain stock then its cheaper to focus more on receiving record for better traceability and train your store keeper for following FIFO.
an easier way is to put the receiving date externally on the carton itself and keep it facing outwards where its easily visible. this will help lot in maintaining good stock rotation.

regards.

Rizwan.

Dear All :

Regards
hygienic

Although I have not a personal experience with but I heard from some professionals that using a bar coding system is one of the best and economical solutions for the precise and easy inventory control. No need to have a heavy-duty ERP solution, a small inventory control software can solve all your inventory control problems. I must say that a wise investment in you inventory control solution can surely save you from a big hidden loss.

Regards:
M.Zeeshan.
Hi all,

In my five cents opinion, training on how to place the raw materials or ingredients in the warehouse is a key factor.

Normally workers without training will to place raw materials from "bottom to top". i.e. the "oldest" bags at the bottom position of the pallets, then they will lay the "new" ones directly on the "oldest" bags, then "new" "new" ones are positioned on the "new" ones.

When using the raw materials, they would like to move the bags from the top position(i.e. new new ones) of the pallets.

However, the trained staff will place raw materials from "left to right". i.e. placing the oldest bags on the most left pallet, then new ones on middle pallet, new new ones on right pallet.

When using the raw materials, they will move from left to right position.

Huge warehouse with enough location identification label/mark is another factor. Good established warehouse can facilitate the traceability and FIFO, FEFO systems.

Regularly stock inventory is a effective way to ensure the FIFO/FEFO system. In my last worked factory. One workshop personnel count and record all the raw materials in each storage rooms at the end of each working day. Thus at the second day the workshop director could decide to use which batch of raw materials during production.

And finally and the most crucial part of FIFO/FEFO/traceability is recording system. You can use records based on paper, alternatively you can use "ERP" etc. to record the information.

In my personal opinion, employ a professional warehouse keeper could save many "potential cost" on managing/training the staff to accept the FIFO/FEFO system.

Best regards,

Jason
1 Thank
Another best way to store the food in FIFO system is Racking.
Pallet racking is effective system and controllable, give address to each row/column and store food accordingly and maintain data/FIFO in simple excel sheet.

Dear Abdul Qudos:

What you think , Is this system can minimise the expenditures in the food establishement ? Dose this system save mony for the food manufacturing companies?

Thanks & regards
Hygienic

Dear Abdul Qudos:

What you think , Is this system can minimise the expenditures in the food establishement ? Dose this system save mony for the food manufacturing companies?

Thanks & regards
Hygienic

We have ERP system in place and facing few problems, i am planning to go for the above system if it is feasible and works with existing facility,

Any how they invited me for 'International Seminar for Managers in the Food Industry' on 02 march in Dubai. I am going to attend to know more about it,

Let you know the out-come after the first week of march.

We have ERP system in place and facing few problems, i am planning to go for the above system if it is feasible and works with existing facility,

Any how they invited me for 'International Seminar for Managers in the Food Industry' on 02 march in Dubai. I am going to attend to know more about it,

Let you know the out-come after the first week of march.

Dear Abdul Qudoos:

Have you attend the seminar? Is it a good system ? can be a good solution in cost management?

Awaiting your comments
Regards
Hygienic

Dear Abdul Qudoos:

Have you attend the seminar? Is it a good system ? can be a good solution in cost management?

Awaiting your comments
Regards
Hygienic

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the seminar due to busiest schedule and important appointments at Gulfood exhibition,

I requested for the details, let you know the details later on or just contact them via website.

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP for storing and distributing packaging for food products Food Safety Concerns Storing CBD (Cannabidiol) in (Food and Beverages) Storing food ingredients in same warehouse as food contact packaging Plexiglass for storing glove boxes Is receiving raw materials and storing them a PRP or OPRP? How to comply with the standard of not storing product directly on the floor? Drying and storing clean utensils and parts in utility sinks Storing food under fly killers Sheets of plastic - storing in cardboard Storing Packaging in Product Boxes