Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,853 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

I stumbled across this website:

Food Safety Music

Food Safety Music Website that features Dr. Carl Winter's hilarious and educational food safety music parodies.

With a few clicks you can be on your way learning (and hearing) about food safety through song and video. It's all here for you - 27 downloadable songs, Powerpoint slide presentations with accompanying lyrics and clip-art, lyric files, Flash animations, live concert footage, scheduled performances, and media accounts.

Songs address a wide variety of food safety topics and have been developed for diverse audiences including children, health professionals, food service workers, food regulators, and teachers. Styles range from pop, country, rock, rap, Latin, and disco and there's even one song in Spanish.

Enjoy the tunes while you and your colleagues and family members laugh and learn about food safety. Audio CDs containing 21 songs are available and can easily be ordered on-line. Also available is the popular Fun with Food Safety Animated Music Videos DVD featuring six animated music videos

Broadcast it to your employees 24/7, make them happy whilst programming their brains.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

LOL :biggrin:

Those lyrics are funny. Very easy for both children and adults to learn about food safety.

Thanks for sharing the link Simon!

"Don’t want hepatitis or that gastroenteritis
I’m just stayin’ alive, stayin’ alive
Scrubbin’ off my veggies and I’m heatin’ all my burgers
Up to one-eighty-five, one-eighty-five
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin’ alive, stayin’ alive
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin’ alive"

Edited by Hongyun, 09 September 2010 - 03:01 PM.

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,853 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:27 AM

Sing this to I Will Survive. :lol:

I'd listen to the news and I'd be petrified
Another foodborne outbreak, I'd be all torn up inside
But then I spent so many nights
Worried about what I just ate
Could I be next?
Did I have poisons on my plate?

But now I'm back
From cyberspace
Determined that I won't become a foodborne illness case
I've learned some simple steps
To keep my food all safe for me
And if you do the same
You'll raise your life expectancy

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Kamwenji Njuma

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 47 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Food safety,Quality,Hygiene and Agricultural consultancy.HACCP,BRC Food,ISO22000.ISO9001,GLOBALG.A.P,Etc

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

I heard its called Ergonomics

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,915 posts
  • 738 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

I heard about this site a while back but found it too cheesy to use in training (they all think I'm nuts already anyway). Interestingly though having a 4 month old son, music has been proven to help with speech development so music is used to help learning in babies, why not adults?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,853 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

I heard about this site a while back but found it too cheesy to use in training (they all think I'm nuts already anyway). Interestingly though having a 4 month old son, music has been proven to help with speech development so music is used to help learning in babies, why not adults?

We used to play classical music to our twin boys when they were in mums belly; they are now both internationally recognised musicians. Well not really but they are very musical and love singing. I believe music reaches parts of the brain that plainly spoken words don’t. When I hear the intro to a song I like I can kick in with the words, even if I’ve not heard it for years. And with my memory that’s impressive, so there has to be something in it.

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:01 PM

Something that makes people laugh (and remember) is that you have to scrub your hands during the time it takes you to sing "Happy Birthday" twice.
There´s one in Spanish! I´ll have to check that out!
Maybe I can find someone talented who can write food safety lyrics to the latest reggaeton and mariachi tunes! If it´s catchy enough, they´ll be singing without even noticing it.

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Well I can't take this type of learning seriously Posted Image
I believe that Food safety learning goal is to make employees understand that it's very serious thing how do they behave during food handling. And it's not only about knowing that "microbes will kill you". I don't think these songs can inspire people to behave well, like wash hands where necessary (I'm sure they remember that! and don't need songs, unless it's a country where is no minimal food safety training and people almost don't know what a microbe is) It's all about an understanding of responsibility and those funny songs will never implement it in peoples mind.
It's fun to listen to them, don't think I'm some snuffy person, but do you really think that a tired guy/girl, who's been working with burgers for hours (some places people are working 15hours a day without any normal lunch break) will start behaving better after they've heard these songs?I Don't think so...

Nice week to all of you Posted Image
Posted Image

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

Well I can't take this type of learning seriously Posted Image
I believe that Food safety learning goal is to make employees understand that it's very serious thing how do they behave during food handling. And it's not only about knowing that "microbes will kill you". I don't think these songs can inspire people to behave well, like wash hands where necessary (I'm sure they remember that! and don't need songs, unless it's a country where is no minimal food safety training and people almost don't know what a microbe is) It's all about an understanding of responsibility and those funny songs will never implement it in peoples mind.
It's fun to listen to them, don't think I'm some snuffy person, but do you really think that a tired guy/girl, who's been working with burgers for hours (some places people are working 15hours a day without any normal lunch break) will start behaving better after they've heard these songs?I Don't think so...

Nice week to all of you Posted Image
Posted Image

I got my CD from Dr Winter a few months ago- i'm not sure how much of a learning tool it is -but it's certainly funny-and in training-funny is good!

I play the songs at the beginning of my training as delegates are coming in-it is amazing how many don't even realise they're about food safety-until someone points it out!- as Simon says- maybe the learning process is subliminal!

(There is a powerpoint presentation to go with the cd that actually has the words on it which helps!!)

Maybe we could threaten to play the cd on a loop and not stop until everyone takes food safety seriously-then again I already have a rolf harris cd for that very purpose!:biggrin:

Regards

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

I agree it's a nice thing to use for training, i would enjoy it if I was on training, as I enjoy all comics everywhere in posters, slides, books.

But has anyone questioned employees afterwards how much actually did songs helped them to learn things or was it just an entertainment to make everyone awake?

Might be I'm totally wrong about these songs, I'm not a professional- studying food safety . But recently I've read some articles- researches about training effectiveness and food handlers behaviour afterwards, and I take it as a very serious thing... There a many factors involved that could make training effective. But these songs..

I guess Mike Green would say to me: "take it easy, relax, you, student . Posted Image."

Posted ImagePosted Image

I got my CD from Dr Winter a few months ago- i'm not sure how much of a learning tool it is -but it's certainly funny-and in training-funny is good!

I play the songs at the beginning of my training as delegates are coming in-it is amazing how many don't even realise they're about food safety-until someone points it out!- as Simon says- maybe the learning process is subliminal!

(There is a powerpoint presentation to go with the cd that actually has the words on it which helps!!)

Maybe we could threaten to play the cd on a loop and not stop until everyone takes food safety seriously-then again I already have a rolf harris cd for that very purpose!:biggrin:

Regards

Mike

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,853 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:03 AM

In my opinion if you use the songs alone and hope to educate employees it will not work, however as an ingredient of a coherent training strategy it adds a little spice. Once the body of food safety knowledge has been imparted on operators then refresher training is more often the same topic but looking at it from different angles and it is sometimes difficult to maintain an interesting and positive message. Of course the basis of refresher training should be results of audits, nonconformities, complaints, changes to the system to close the continual improvement loop, but a little care free fun, laughter and song (with a underlying message) should do more good than harm IMHO.

Regards,
Simon

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users