What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Allergens - Packaging (folding carton)

Started by , Aug 27 2010 02:09 PM
5 Replies
Hello,

We are working on BRC IOP in our plant (folding carton for food - no direct contact).

How should i consider allergens in the riscanalysis - R.A.?
The only allergens i can imagine are those from foodstuff from personel.
So if the personel does not eat in production, should i consider allergens in every R.A.step anyway ?

Kind regards
Have a nice Weekend !

Apollo
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Vending Machine Allergens Raw Material Segregation based on Allergens FSSC v6 2.5.6 Management of Allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens
[Ad]

Hello,

We are working on BRC IOP in our plant (folding carton for food - no direct contact).

How should i consider allergens in the riscanalysis - R.A.?
So if the personel does not eat in production, should i consider allergens in every R.A.step anyway ?

Kind regards
Have a nice Weekend !

Apollo

I would do one risk assessment saying the risk at each part of the plant and what your control strategy is. IE if someone eats some peanuts on break, its controlled by washing hands, putting protective clothing on. Then base the effectiveness on things such as no consumer complaints.
Hi Apollo,

Because your packaging is not for direct food contact there really is very little risk of physical contamination of the end food product e.g. nut debris being transferred from person / clothing to your packaging product and then to food via some direct food contact packaging. Especially if you have some controls such as hand washing before entering production, only eating and drinking in canteens, maybe being a nut free site and perhaps even removing work clothes prior to eating (overkill in your case I think).

Your biggest risk with allergens could be down a different track completely for example mixing packaging designs, printing defects on ingredients etc., which ultimately could cause a consumer to mistakenly eat a food product containing an allergen they are allergic to.

Regards,
Simon

Most composition of indirect contact packaging materials do not post allergen risk. Structurally, I do not know the composition of your materials and how is is shaped out but I would consider conducting a risk exposure on the possibility of "wheat-based" glue being used. Unlikely as polymer glue is generally used these days. You never know~!

Cheers
Charles Chew
Hi Appolo,

i agree with Simon. we just completed our risk assessments. We id no allergens. Only risk to the consumer could be a direct result of artwork and repro issues being incorrect. During printing we always do copy checks to ensure that all text is still there and clearly legible. scuffing and filling in of text especially ingredients on packaging is also important check.

regards

Gita
Two more areas where I have found them:

Wheat starch based anti set off powder

Ground nut oil in lubricants.

As said earlier, most adhesives in carton making are not starch based (normally PVA). Wheat based starch is sometimes used in corrugation plants but even if you pack your products in these cases, the risk level for you is virtually non existant.

Similar Discussion Topics
Vending Machine Allergens Raw Material Segregation based on Allergens FSSC v6 2.5.6 Management of Allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Tips for preventing recalls due to undeclared allergens Allergens control in research and development Cleaning Between Allergens - Tree Nut to Peanuts Do we need to have signs of alerts for our employees about the risk of processing allergens? Declaration or allergens