Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,288 posts
  • 1307 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:33 AM

Recent recalls for incorrect allergen labelling include:

EH Booth And Co. Ltd Withdraws Chateau Ducla French AC Bordeaux Superior Due To Undeclared Sulphites

EH Booth and Co Ltd withdrew Chateau Ducla French AC Bordeaux Superior from sale as it contains sulphites that are not declared on the label.

Pure Base Distribution Recalls "Pure Base Garlic Spread - Concentrate" and "Pure Base Garlic Spread - Ready to Spread"

Pure Base Distribution, LLC of Ontario, CA recalled its 4 ounce bottles of “Pure Base Garlic Spread - Concentrate” and 7 ounce bottles of “Pure Base Garlic Spread - Ready to Spread” because they may contain undeclared milk and wheat.

Domega Ny International Co., Ltd Recalls Fuma Custard Pie

Domega Ny International Co. Ltd of Brooklyn New York recalled its Fuma Custard Pie because it may contain undeclared milk powder.

I Dolce Inc. Recalls "Roba Dolce Double Chocolate Chunk Gelato"

I Dolce Inc. dba Roba Dolce of Warwick, Rhode Island recalled its Roba Dolce Double Chocolate Chunk Gelato because it may contain undeclared peanuts.

Texas Firm Recalls Cervelat Sausage

San Antonio Packing Company of San Antonio, Texas, recalled approximately 9,408 lbs. of Cervelat Summer Sausage because it may contain an undeclared allergen, milk.

Why do we see so many problems with incorrect allergen labelling?

Edited by Tony-C, 05 July 2010 - 02:34 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5669 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:20 AM

Dear Tony,

It's a fascinating topic. :thumbup:

I suppose the question is partly split into (a) Accidental and (b) Uncaring ?

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of specific reject reasons, my guess nuts, milk, gluten are prime contenders. And data on withdrawals / recalls ? And offenders with >1, >10, etc (no data i expect :smile: ).

The problem would appear to be that in many cases no detailed check of the label is being done by both QA, particularly the QA of the customer who IMEX are typically the final control step. This does seem hard to believe but perhaps the big boys are simply saturated with label "work" so the actual defect percentage is considered "acceptably low". In the case of the non-big boys I guess the reasons could be more complicated, eg a mixture of ignorance / uncaring / simple lack of checking but which is dominant. :dunno:

Hoping to hear more opinions.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Mike Carr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

Dear Tony,

It's a fascinating topic. :thumbup:

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of specific reject reasons, my guess nuts, milk, gluten are prime contenders. And data on withdrawals / recalls ? And offenders with >1, >10, etc (no data i expect :smile: ).

The problem would appear to be that in many cases no detailed check of the label is being done by both QA, particularly the QA of the customer who IMEX are typically the final control step. This does seem hard to believe but perhaps the big boys are simply saturated with label "work" so the actual defect percentage is considered "acceptably low". In the case of the non-big boys I guess the reasons could be more complicated, eg a mixture of ignorance / uncaring / simple lack of checking but which is dominant. :dunno:

Rgds / Charles.C

I would guess uncaring might be less, not being overly cynical but companies don't want to be facing a lawsuit over their labelling

Mike

Food hygiene standards in businesses are improving, and hopefully the confidence in food businesses will continue to grow. Online food safety training and having a Food Hygiene Certificate indicates the efficiency of modern food hygiene practices.

cosmo

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:47 AM

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of specific reject reasons, my guess nuts, milk, gluten are prime contenders. And data on withdrawals / recalls ? And offenders with >1, >10, etc (no data i expect Posted Image ).

Hi All,
I have had a look at the causes for recalls in Australia/ New Zealand from June 09 to March 10 and found allergens 44% (incorrect labelling), Micro 34%, Foreign matter 11% and other 11%.
We produce a range of allergen free products and are very aware of hidden ingredients and the origins of those ingredients because of the label claims we make and the product testing and ingredient screening we do for due dilligence and validation.

IMEX I would have to agree that the majority of the recall causes could be from ignorance combined with a lack of knowledge regarding where or how to find out about compound ingredients, which is where most allergens are found.
This task is delegated to QA as part of product specification who may be very dilligent and check all compound ingredients and their origins only to be thwarted by purchasing who may buy in product ingredients on a price point rather than its allergen free status.
I suspect this is how most undeclared allergens suddenly appear in products.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,288 posts
  • 1307 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:40 AM

My personal opinion is that these problems can be controlled by a sound design/development procedure and adequate goods in checks.

Regards,

Tony

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,915 posts
  • 737 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

Ha! No, I disagree Tony! I don't think many allergen recalls are actually due to wrong design of the label, IMO they are due to putting the wrong label on the pack. E.g. putting a chicken and cashew nut ready meal in a chicken chow mein sleeve.

Certainly working in manufacturers with multiple SKUs, it seemed to be one of the biggest issues and despite technology to prevent it (e.g. barcode recognition), seemed to happen with alarming frequency.

What's most worrying though was until the change in allergen legislation, these recalls were rare which suggests to me that many manufacturers made this mistake but left the product out in the marketplace!

holewinj28

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:13 AM

Hi,

I will have to agree with no QA checks but I am not 100% certain on just QA checks. IN addition, I agree that in-line label bar code verifier would catch this information 100% but of course this equipment must be set-up correctly too. This 100% label verification would ensure that the correct labels are on the package for the product. Again, there is the human error of setting up the machine. Possibly, the root cause could be the proofing of the labels before they go to the printer to be printed. Finally, of course it could be the processing practices in the plant on controlling cross-contamination when handling, storing and making the product.

Take Care,
Jill

Dear Tony,

It's a fascinating topic. Posted Image

Would be interesting to see a breakdown of specific reject reasons, my guess nuts, milk, gluten are prime contenders. And data on withdrawals / recalls ? And offenders with >1, >10, etc (no data i expect Posted Image ).

The problem would appear to be that in many cases no detailed check of the label is being done by both QA, particularly the QA of the customer who IMEX are typically the final control step. This does seem hard to believe but perhaps the big boys are simply saturated with label "work" so the actual defect percentage is considered "acceptably low". In the case of the non-big boys I guess the reasons could be more complicated, eg a mixture of ignorance / uncaring / simple lack of checking but which is dominant. Posted Image

Rgds / Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,288 posts
  • 1307 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:43 AM

Ha! No, I disagree Tony! I don't think many allergen recalls are actually due to wrong design of the label, IMO they are due to putting the wrong label on the pack. E.g. putting a chicken and cashew nut ready meal in a chicken chow mein sleeve.

Certainly working in manufacturers with multiple SKUs, it seemed to be one of the biggest issues and despite technology to prevent it (e.g. barcode recognition), seemed to happen with alarming frequency.

What's most worrying though was until the change in allergen legislation, these recalls were rare which suggests to me that many manufacturers made this mistake but left the product out in the marketplace!

What GMO you're disagreeing with me again! Posted Image

I am sure there is some element of mislabelling that goes on especially when you have what seems like millions of sku's

How is your baby anyway?

Kind regards,

Tony

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,915 posts
  • 737 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:19 AM

Ah I'm just argumentative due to sleep depravation! He's doing great thank you!

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users