• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, Internet, Science, Music, Art

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

Starting up a sanitation check process here in the micro lab and our new protocols allow for contact plates to be used. Instead of using RODAC plates like I have in the past, I've found some information online about using Petrifilm instead. This would be great as it would be one less new item to purchase, and it'd be cheaper and have a longer shelf life than RODAC. Does anyone else have experience or tried this method? We're currently also using petrifilm for air sample checks as sedement plates.

Mike Carr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

Starting up a sanitation check process here in the micro lab and our new protocols allow for contact plates to be used. Instead of using RODAC plates like I have in the past, I've found some information online about using Petrifilm instead. This would be great as it would be one less new item to purchase, and it'd be cheaper and have a longer shelf life than RODAC. Does anyone else have experience or tried this method? We're currently also using petrifilm for air sample checks as sedement plates.

Hi Gao, what is the nature of your work? :bye:

Mike

Food hygiene standards in businesses are improving, and hopefully the confidence in food businesses will continue to grow. Online food safety training and having a Food Hygiene Certificate indicates the efficiency of modern food hygiene practices.

Gao Yu Qing

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

Ah, well I'm a microbiologist in a baby food factory. The item in question however is just for sanitation checks within the lab of work surfaces: counters, hoods, etc. All smooth areas that contact plates would be perfect for. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with using Petrifilm as a contact plate.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5675 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

Dear Gao Yu Qing,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with using Petrifilm as a contact plate.

Yes indeed, i think many people here (including myself) have been doing this for many years. Generally, experience has been "satisfactory" although i hv never compared recoveries to Rodac Plates etc as one no doubt should for proper validation purposes (partly because the whole topic of deciding suitable evaluation standards is highly subjective IMO).

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Gao Yu Qing

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

Dear Gao Yu Qing,

Yes indeed, i think many people here (including myself) have been doing this for many years. Generally, experience has been "satisfactory" although i hv never compared recoveries to Rodac Plates etc as one no doubt should for proper validation purposes (partly because the whole topic of deciding suitable evaluation standards is highly subjective IMO).

Rgds / Charles.C

Goodness yes. I found this site in the first place while ransacking the internet in an effort to find some kind of standard by which to determine what the limits of CFU's should be on such tests. A very frustrating endeavor. I confess to mingled amusement and annoyance when I discovered that it's a subjective issue.
Good to know people have been using this method, gives me precedent to present to my supervisors in addition to the reports I found online. Out of curiosity, what film do you use? APC, M&Y, others?
Thanks

beatlevi

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

Hi Gao, I work in a bakery plant and I prefer using quick swab with petrifilm plates: the recovery of bacteria and molds it's better with swabs.Attached File  technique de swabbing.pdf   96.96KB   23 downloads

ciao !
Beatlevi

Gao Yu Qing

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

Hi Gao, I work in a bakery plant and I prefer using quick swab with petrifilm plates: the recovery of bacteria and molds it's better with swabs.Attached File  technique de swabbing.pdf   96.96KB   23 downloads
ciao !
Beatlevi

Ok, interesting. I saw this method on the same 3M site I saw the Petrifilm contact method. And you found a significance difference between the two methods? I'd love to see your numbers. I considered this a possibility, but thought: 1) It's just an extra step as it all ends up on the petrifilm anyways 2) It would be hard to quantify your numbers as, unless you were careful to only swab the same 20cm^2 area the petrifilm would cover, and the same amount of area every time, your numbers would be variable and/or non-comparable. If you were swabbing a 40cm^2 area for instance, it would only make sense for you to have twice the count the 20cm^2 contact plate would get. I dinno.
Thx

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users