• Quick Navigation
Photo

Commercial Kitchen Windows - Curtains or Venetian Blinds?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Theo

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Nigeria
    Nigeria

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

Hi All,

I was asked to recommend the best option for covering Kitchen Windows in a new Commercial Kitchen that our Contract Caterer is about to move into. Should it be Fabric Curtains or Venetian Blinds from a Food Safety and Hygiene point of view.

I was thinking fabric curtains will be better because of the challenges of cleaning venetian blinds [dust]. Also the fabric curtains can simply be scheduled for laundry etc.

Please you thoughts/comments/advice on this subject matter will be appreciated. :helpplease:

THX

THEO

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,856 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

Hi All,

I was asked to recommend the best option for covering Kitchen Windows in a new Commercial Kitchen that our Contract Caterer is about to move into. Should it be Fabric Curtains or Venetian Blinds from a Food Safety and Hygiene point of view.

I was thinking fabric curtains will be better because of the challenges of cleaning venetian blinds [dust]. Also the fabric curtains can simply be scheduled for laundry etc.

Please you thoughts/comments/advice on this subject matter will be appreciated. :helpplease:

THX

THEO

I don't think it matters that much if they are kept clean. With venetian blinds at least the cleaning could be done in house as part of the cleaning schedule. Roller blinds (of a cleanable material) is a third option that comes to mind.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Spoon

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:31 PM

I have roman blinds in my kitchen, got them over at :diespam: They look very nice and are easy to clean

Edited by Simon, 04 November 2010 - 01:58 PM.
Advertising link removed

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

Hi All,

THX

THEO

I am going to be a pain-and say neither!- if you need privacy or to keep out sunlight-go for refelective window film

My reasoning for this is almost every curtain or blind I have ever seen in a commercial kitchen has either been affected by steam(damp/mouldy) or has been unnacceptably dirty!- I have no doubt it can be done with regular cleaning etc- but with the pressures of running a commercial kitchen IMO -it is best to remove as many unnecessary hazards as possible- to concentrate on controlling the necessary ones
Regards
mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

shattersafe

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

Keep in mind that if you are going to use a reflective type window film, be certain the the film is not too dark if you have double glazed glass to the outside. Double glazed glass will absorb the heat from outside and lead to glass fracture, ( Thermal failure) and will then lead to a host of other problems with the possibility of glass entering the food prep areas.

Cheers

Al

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:47 AM

Keep in mind that if you are going to use a reflective type window film, be certain the the film is not too dark if you have double glazed glass to the outside. Double glazed glass will absorb the heat from outside and lead to glass fracture, ( Thermal failure) and will then lead to a host of other problems with the possibility of glass entering the food prep areas.

Cheers

Al

Hi Al- i have to say I am quite surprised to hear that- I worked in premises using reflective film for years and never seen or heard of it causing problems-but i would be very interested in learning more about it

Quote from a supplier website

Solar Heat and Glare Control
Reflective films are some of the most effective solar control window films available. Depending on the colour of window film used, reflective window film can reject up to 77% of solar heat, and reduce solar glare by up to 82%.

Reflective window films are particularly suitable to combating more severe solar heat gain and glare problems.

No idea whether the above is true as i haven't looked for any research but if a large proportion of solar heat is reflected it is difficult to understand how the glass could fracture?-not sure if the issue is is a difference between the properties of reflective film(which i suggested) and tinted film?

I would be interested to see any links you have re thermal failure in connection with reflective film

Regards

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,918 posts
  • 738 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:56 PM

I am going to be a pain-and say neither!- if you need privacy or to keep out sunlight-go for refelective window film

My reasoning for this is almost every curtain or blind I have ever seen in a commercial kitchen has either been affected by steam(damp/mouldy) or has been unnacceptably dirty!- I have no doubt it can be done with regular cleaning etc- but with the pressures of running a commercial kitchen IMO -it is best to remove as many unnecessary hazards as possible- to concentrate on controlling the necessary ones
Regards
mike

Saw this post and was about to say exactly the same thing! Why do you need curtains or blinds? If it's for aesthetic reasons, then just don't have them. If it's for temperature control reasons, either don't have the windows to keep the room a more constant temperature or chose tinted windows if it's likely to get too hot.

Having worked in manufacturing for years, when I visit catering kitchens it does confuse me the number of openable external windows and doors leading directly to outside areas which are in catering kitchens. Having these means that people are likely to open them and leave them open to try and cool the kitchen area which then leads to pest risks etc. I know it's not the most pleasant thing but why not have working environments like in manufacturing (especially if you're starting from scratch) so there is a double door system to the outside (so no door from the kitchen directly leads to an outside area) and no windows but a decent extraction system? May not be that popular but IME people get over it and get used to working in artificial light.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,856 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

I’m agreeing with the other posters - it's always the best policy to eliminate unnecessary ‘things’ in the process. Introducing new ‘things’ into the process only leads us to consider how we need to manage them to ensure hazards are controlled. Challenge yourself, eliminate, simplify and lower the risk.

The only safe tiger is a dead one

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users