What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What Soft Drinks are Doing to Your Body

Started by , Nov 04 2009 05:06 AM
5 Replies
Greetings for the day,

I found this interesting article on web and thought to share with all the viewers (FYI):

By Dr. Maoshing Ni a Yahoo! Health Expert for Alternative Medicine

Soda, pop, cola, soft drink — whatever you call it, it is one of the worst beverages that you could be drinking for your health. As the debate for whether to put a tax on the sale of soft drinks continues, you should know how they affect your body so that you can make an informed choice on your own.

Soft drinks are hard on your health
Soft drinks contain little to no vitamins or other essential nutrients. However, it is what they do contain that is the problem: caffeine, carbonation, simple sugars — or worse, sugar substitutes — and often food additives such as artificial coloring, flavoring, and preservatives.

A lot of research has found that consumption of soft drinks in high quantity, especially by children, is responsible for many health problems that include tooth decay, nutritional depletion, obesity, type-2 diabetes, and heart disease.

For complete text click the link below:
What Soft Drinks are Doing to Your Body
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Risk assessment - Metal Detector vs. X Ray (foreign body detection) Recommendations for a SQF Certification Body Soft Drinks - Pasteurisation Time/Temp (PU's) Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) test in juices and soft drinks Low acid energy drinks labeling
[Ad]
IMO, the consumers should be responsible for what they prefer and not blame it on the manufacturers. Children’s diet and preference for foods should be controlled and introduced by the parents right from the start. Researchers have found that a child’s taste for certain foods begins from the time they are in the womb. So again, consumers are responsible for the foods they eat, unless and until it is contaminated from the farms / manufactures due to lack of proper GMP, GAP’s, GHP’s and risk assessment.

Now there is a need to educate customers on balanced diet, correct eating practices, food safety etc..
May be something similar to the consumary advice note of cigarrette packs " Tobacco is injurious to health" need to be considered, although it may hardly drive the cause. School education, diet consultations etc.. may be fruitful.
I agree it is the parents responsibility, we let our children have one bottle of lemonade with their tea on a Saturday because we have wine. It's only fair. All other times it's milk or water and also they have some breakfast orange or cranberry juice.

On special occassions like a birthday we let them have coca cola.

Everything in moderation.

Also the soft drink brands have a social responsibility to limit the risks of dangerous chemicals and over drinking; they have to think about those parents and children who do not act responsibly for whatever reason - they have to think and act for them. And they should also forget about cynical advertising and false claims such as drinking this makes you sexy, want to dance, be beautiful and cool etc.

I agree it is the parents responsibility, we let our children have one bottle of lemonade with their tea on a Saturday because we have wine. It's only fair. All other times it's milk or water and also they have some breakfast orange or cranberry juice.

On special occassions like a birthday we let them have coca cola.

Everything in moderation.

Also the soft drink brands have a social responsibility to limit the risks of dangerous chemicals and over drinking; they have to think about those parents and children who do not act responsibly for whatever reason - they have to think and act for them. And they should also forget about cynical advertising and false claims such as drinking this makes you sexy, want to dance, be beautiful and cool etc.

Hi Simon,

The way you teach the young ones are the right way. Soft drinks are so accessible nowadays that parents should do their part by limiting them if possible. Educate them while young, before they are in their teens and all hell breaks loose...

Unfortunately, soft drink manufacturers, like all other companies, work towards profitability rather than social responsibility... They can brand the drink as "Apple flavored", but does not really contains any real "apple juice" at all. And I think children are more likely to believe it contains real juice and make the purchase while all it contained is sugary water, acidulants and flavorings...

There was another article I came across few months ago that said the US nutritionists are urging new, not-as-sweet drinks for the market. These new class of beverage should have "no more than 1 gram of sugar per ounce, which with about 50 calories is about 70 percent less sugar than a typical soft drink contains", and " should also be free of artificial sweeteners such as aspartame and saccharine."

Reuters
Dear All,

IMO, everything that goes uncontrolled is never good. Even healthy veggies and fruits can turn you upside down if you constantly eating them in large quantities! So, I think I'll keep myself consuming soft drinks in a proper diet. And I guess its fair enough for the soft drink industries.

Regards,

Arya

Similar Discussion Topics
Risk assessment - Metal Detector vs. X Ray (foreign body detection) Recommendations for a SQF Certification Body Soft Drinks - Pasteurisation Time/Temp (PU's) Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) test in juices and soft drinks Low acid energy drinks labeling Foreign body contamination risk assessment plan in shrimp processing? Does anyone have any experience of spoilage in soft cheese? BRC v7 4.10.1.1 Foreign body detection and removal equipment Food Safety Risks from Dead Body BRCGS Issue 9 Requirement: 4.9.6.3 - Other Foreign-Body Contaminants