What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Yeast problem with tomato products - Urgent

Started by , Jul 18 2009 08:52 AM
7 Replies
Hi all,

I have a yeast problem with my tomato products, have can i prevent the growth of yeast?
What chemicals or other things can you advise?

Thank you
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Yeast & Mould Specifications How to state Air / Yeast & Mould count ? Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Micro-testing (E.Coli, Salmonella, Yeast and Mold) for supplier
[Ad]
Harlow,

Have you tried sodium benzoate?

In case sodium benzoate didn't help, you are gonna give more details of your product so others can offer you better ways to deal with the problem.

Are your tomatoes fresh-cuts, canned, juiced, mashed, etc...

Are the heat treatments (if any) sufficient to eliminate yeast?

Have you tried MAP (Modified Atmosphere Packaging) for your tomatoes?
Hello Immortal!
Have you tried using a lower pH (making your product more acidic, with vinegar for example)?

I have a yeast problem with my tomato products, have can i prevent the growth of yeast?
What chemicals or other things can you advise?

Normally I would use a heat treatment to kill yeast.

Potassium sorbate can be used as an inhibitor if you want to use a chemical ingredient.

Regards

Tony
Did you solve the problem Immortal?
Saw this question today. Hope you already solved it.

If not, could you provide us with some more background details/parameters like your processing methode (washing, heating) and water activity, pH, saltinity, acidity.

As it is more important to know what the cause is of the problem than put chemicals in to your product.

Make a note that the useing of E211 and E202 is not allowed in all countries

PAL
Hey there immortal!

What kind of products you produce? Canned or packed?
I am adding the following just in case you need some info concerning:

Canned tomato products - effects of processing on microorganisms, spoilage, pathogens and control

Aciduric Flatsour Sporeformers

The flar sour bacteria

Good luck!

Filip

Similar Discussion Topics
Yeast & Mould Specifications How to state Air / Yeast & Mould count ? Yeast and Latic Acid limits for Poultry Shelf Life Testing Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Micro-testing (E.Coli, Salmonella, Yeast and Mold) for supplier High yeast and ACC in Sesame dressing Yeast and Mould Monitoring Control of Yeast and Mold in Ambient Filled Shelf Stable Dressing without Preservatives Yeast and Mold APC Limits Mold and Yeast Testing- cmmef 5th 3 & 21