What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What is Sulphur Dioxide?

Started by , Sep 15 2005 07:49 AM
4 Replies
Well I know it's a preservative because it says so on the little box of raisins I stole from my kids. What I should have asked was -- is it harmful? My little 14g box of so called fruit contains 10mg of Sulphur Dioxide - and they are aimed at my kids.

Regards,
Simon
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) test in juices and soft drinks Titanium Dioxide in packaging Current status of E171 (Titanium dioxide) in Canada for imported goods Chlorine dioxide as additive in Japanese products Does sulphur dioxide on the surface of a bag or box degrade over time?
[Ad]

What I should have asked was -- is it harmful?

Less harmful than spoilage by microorganisms Franco

It's a Risk Management decision

This link shows a list of preservatives in food.

Preservatives
I suppose a slow death caused by sulphur dioxide beats a violent exploding and gushing of bodily fluids death caused by billions of killer microbes.

It's possible I may have exaggerated again.

Thanks,
Simon

I suppose a slow death caused by sulphur dioxide beats a violent exploding and gushing of bodily fluids death caused by billions of killer microbes.

It's possible I may have exaggerated again.

What you have spotted is the direct effect of those nice new allergen warning requirements - sulphites have to now be declared where they are present at a level above 10mg per kg. It's an allergen mostly for those who are asthmatic - not nessecarily a slow death then...! It's a very common food additive though - usually labelled as E220 until the new requirements started to bring it out of hiding.

There's an alternative You could consider organic raisins - sulphur dioxide isn't permitted in organic fruit.
In a hazard risk assessment, all allergens are identified regardless of permitted usage level and are dealt with as justified or under Good Label Management or risk recall.

Similar Discussion Topics
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) test in juices and soft drinks Titanium Dioxide in packaging Current status of E171 (Titanium dioxide) in Canada for imported goods Chlorine dioxide as additive in Japanese products Does sulphur dioxide on the surface of a bag or box degrade over time? Sulphur dust on crops Sulfur Dioxide declaration on packaging Nitrogen (NO2,NOx) in Carbon Dioxide Production Allergen Test Kit for Sulfur Dioxide What are the appropriate concentrations of Chlorine Dioxide for sanitizing?