• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Scotland
    Scotland

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:11 PM

Hi all,

I have just been informed that next week 2 environmental health officers are coming for a secondary inspection bascially its going to be a food hygiene inspection. He wants to talk to me about results of samples he took last time he was here as he is concerened about preservatives in one of our raw ingredients and also he wants to talk to me about HACCP. i dont not have the sufficient HACCP training which is required but will be attending the correct course needed soon. He said he would try and get the information from the samples over to me before they visit.

This is my first ever inspection and was wondering whether anyone could give me any advice on what to expect as im feeling really nervous about it. It also does not help that my managing director and my head chef are also on holiday this week and next week. Any advice or ideas of what to do would also be appreciated. :helpplease:

CBennett

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

Hi all,

I have just been informed that next week 2 environmental health officers are coming for a secondary inspection bascially its going to be a food hygiene inspection. He wants to talk to me about results of samples he took last time he was here as he is concerened about preservatives in one of our raw ingredients and also he wants to talk to me about HACCP. i dont not have the sufficient HACCP training which is required but will be attending the correct course needed soon. He said he would try and get the information from the samples over to me before they visit.

This is my first ever inspection and was wondering whether anyone could give me any advice on what to expect as im feeling really nervous about it. It also does not help that my managing director and my head chef are also on holiday this week and next week. Any advice or ideas of what to do would also be appreciated. :helpplease:

Inspections are a wonderful time to learn and they make you learn your operation faster than you might otherwise.

Answer only questions that they ask you. Do not volunteer extra information. Show them what they ask specifically to see. Be very interested in what they have to say and be receptive to their suggestions. Make sure you are storing food properly that everything is labeled, and that everything is cleaned. Make sure the basics are covered and believe that whatever they want to talk about you will be able to handle. It's going to be fine!

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:28 AM

same opinion with Cbennett...IMEX dont state to much comment during inspection... you can ask the reason to inspector if that somethink found during inspection...

And for yopur shelf.. you have to prepare your knowledege on HACCP and make sure that your practice comply with the standard...Dont forget give the inspector some logical reason and dont say to much...

Hope can help you... and good luck :thumbup:

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:51 AM

Great comments so far. I would add a fe things. Do ask for identification. It doesn't show a lack of trust - rather - it shows that you have conerns and care about security. If at all possible have 2 people with the inspector. One can listen and pay full attention while the other can take notes or run errands if necessary. Be sure not to ever leave the inspector unattended. Be aware of what you must, what you should, and what - perhaps - you need not share with the inspector. They can ask for anything but that doesn't always mean you have to share everything.

As for the sample results - you need those as soon as possible. Make sure the concern is truly a food safet concern and not just a quality concern. High generic micro counts can mean some temperature abuse or aging product but it does not automatically mean you have a food safety or health issue.

I am sure it will go fine - let us know if we can help more or let us know how it goes, if you can.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5670 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:30 AM

Dear Highlind chick,

Well, as far as hygiene is concerned, my first suggestion would be to try and make sure you are at least genned up on the 6 or 7 prime GMP / prerequisite items used for HACCP, eg water safety, pest control etc . After that it starts to get into the real HACCP. Those are the first inspectorial hygiene priorities IMEX and quite right too. I can still remember this guy asking for a ladder to climb up to our overhead water storage tank to make sure it was fully enclosed. Few worried faces at that point !
I remember you saying the company has BRC already. This offers a good starting point to then make a very stripped down (intelligible) hygiene checklist for yourself as per present requirements. I daresay you have one already ? a quick walk round helps to calm the nerves.
Decent coffee etc can also be helpful. :smile: Good luck.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:54 AM

Dear HC,

I too have the same opinion as others. A daily walk around your facility with a checklist that covers all the pre-requisites would help you. Check all control points which are critical for food safety. Ensure all required documentations are available. Cooperate with the inspectors and accept their guidance and at the same time you can ask your queries too. You need not worry because from your post I understand the inspectors are coming to help you in improving your process which is great.

Cheer up and let us know how it went.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

highlind chick

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Scotland
    Scotland

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:15 AM

Hi all,
Thank you so much to you all for your help I have taken all your comments on board and will be taking Charles.C advice regarding prerequisites, you have answered a few of my posts, much appreciated. So I have a busy few days to next Wednesday and Ill post how I get on, any more advice or information from anybody will be appreciated. There is no one else here who can be at this meeting with me so Ill grin and bare it. The inspector has been here a few times before and he did say to me i understand this will be your first inspection and that he understands that I will be reviewing the systems already in place. Anyway I better get on lots to do. Thanks all. Also hopefully i wont have any water tank situations lol :biggrin:

highlind chick

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Scotland
    Scotland

Posted 22 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

Hi all,

I had my environmental health secondary inspection today. Thank you everyone for all your advice it really helped in making sure I was organised and ready. So the visit when really well, a couple of structural and labelling issues, nothing serious and easily fixable. So all good and thanks again to everyone and thanks again for such a great website. :biggrin:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,849 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:55 PM

Great news HC, you passed the big test. Now for greater things.

Thanks to everyone who helped out. :clap:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:19 AM

Congrat HC... Passed your first the big test.. that give you more experiences and increase your knowledge... :thumbup:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users