• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Nigeria
    Nigeria

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with an appropriate answer to this question?

1. In what ways is HACCP a different type of regulation to the ‘traditional’ type of legal requirement that gives exact guidance on walls, floors, ceilings, number of sinks etc?

2.‘Enforcement of HACCP regulations is always going to be more difficult than with traditional food hygiene regulations’ Critically discuss this statement with specific reference to the difficulties of enforcing HACCP.

3. What is the role of the Codex Alimentarius Commission in relation to food safety legislation worldwide?

4. What does the technical manager of a food production company need to know about the law in order to successfully undertake his role? Will I be correct in saying that the TM needs to know the objectives/reasons/consequences of non-compliance with/of the law?

CHEERS

THEO :unsure:

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:20 PM

I hope the forum isn't being used to complete a school work assignment - the questions sound like that...

In my opinion....

HACCP is different in that instead of prescribing specific standards it forces the user to understand critical elements of food safety and determine limits that they can support themselves through science. HACCP better recognizes that every process is different and there is not a one-size-fits-all law that would apply. HACCP requires a thorough throught process rather than blind compliance.

Enforcement is difficult because it also requires through evaluation of hazards. It is not a black and white issue since there are no prescribed limits and CCPs etc. Those who enforce it must understand the logic of those they 'govern' and then determine if that logic is sound.

Your assessment of the law seems fine. One must know what you must do, what the consequences of noncompliance are and - importantly - where there is room for debate. Too often I have seen companies comply with the whim of an inspector because they did not know their rights to appeal a decision.

Hope that was helpful - it's just one person's opinion.

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

Theo

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Nigeria
    Nigeria

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:14 PM

Actually its questions from past exam papers issued by my tutor.....am preparing for my exams and I was just seeking additional opinions....obviously it would be unethical to use the forum for getting answers to assingment questions.

Thanks for the feedback....it matches what I assumed to be the right answers to the questions.

THEO

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users