• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:28 PM

Hi all. 

First post, eh? I feel like I'm jumping into the deep end, here!

I would just like to know if any here could recommend to me a starting point for learning more about HACCP and food safety in general. I work for a company in the process of becoming HACCP accredited, and although my specialization is IT and office work, I would like to know more about the processes involved so that I find myself in a better position to assist and out of personal curiosity regarding the matter. Preferably, I'm after free resources..  but from my own searches I'm not sure how much is actually out there. Alternatively, cheap resources are good too! I will most likely be paying for anything out of my own pocket, so that is a factor. Oh, and for what it is worth? I'm based in South Africa.

Any tips on where to start? The field seems extremely vast, and I'm afraid I just don't know the right places to look. This book has caught my eye, but I'm wondering if there is anything else available?

Thanks!

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

Hi,

Attached are a few files on basics of HACCP. If you are very specific about your industry and what you plan to manufacture, people can help you all the better. You might consider joining LinkedIN and hooking up with groups and people from your counrty as well for information and resources that are highly specific.

Regards,

Xylough

Attached Files

Thanked by 3 Members:

Jeronkey

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:29 PM

Thank you very much for the reply, and for all the uploads.

I didn't even think to mention what sector we were in. A rather silly thing to have overlooked! We are a food manufacturer specializing in bread premix manufacturing.

We work with a lot of flour, yeast, and enzymes. We don't bake bread ourselves, except for what is produced internally in our test bakery, but rather supply the necessary materials to bake bread to other companies.

I know that we don't make use of any kind of meat in our factory, but we do store and utilize nuts and seeds. I also know that dairy products and other allergens such as wheat, gluten and soya would be used.

Thanks again!

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

Personally, I would not spend much money on a book unless it addressed your specific food indusrty with expertise. Books can be dated and one sided, There is so much free and current material on HACCP. Consider looking at HACCP for the Codex Alementarius resources (European). Must also look at what your customers or potential cutomers will demand in the way of HACCP

Regards,

Xylough

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

I know that we don't make use of any kind of meat in our factory, but we do store and utilize nuts and seeds. I also know that dairy products and other allergens such as wheat, gluten and soya would be used.

Thanks again!

You have quite a few allergens in you facility so I'd recommend being very careful on you allergen management program (policy, procedures and responsibility). Although not directly a HACCP issue (allergen management is technically a prerequisite program) this PRP does come heavily into play when you get into product and process risk analyses in your HACCP plan(s). Allergens, as you probably are aware, are a chemical hazard. And keep in mind that in your policies, procedures and responsibilities you'll need to define how you prevent allergen cross contamination from storage and processing points of view (for example do you use dedicated equipment, sequential sequencing in your production schedule, etc.). You'll need this to justify preventive controls in your process analysis in your HACCP plan(s)..

Regards,

esquef

Thanked by 2 Members:

SUSHIL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 162 posts
  • 226 thanks
Good

• India
    India

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:53 AM

Hello Jeronkey,

Attached here is HACCP Example - Courtesy of Fletchers Bakery, Sheffield,though this does not contain allergens ,you can identify your allergens and sometimes allergens can be CCP considering so may recalls from markets due to not labelling allergens on food products.

Attached Files

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

Hello and Welcome!

There is a company called Safefood 360o that sells software for food safety.  On their web site, they have some whitepapers free if you give your name and contact information, and you are signed up for a newsletter. 

The topics are very basic, so it should be a good place to start.  And it's free.

http://safefood360.c...es/whitepapers/

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,857 posts
  • 1366 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:59 PM

And maybe you can take a look at the free IFSQN weekly webinars

Shameless plug :blush:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5676 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 March 2015 - 04:11 PM

Dear jeronkey,

IMO the answer to yr OP is, initially at least, likely to be related to your current technical capabilities. And possibly the daily Company technical support available to you.

Many haccp  texts assume a certain level of BCP knowledge. Not to mention a capability to follow topics such as risk assessment as related to a  BCP context.

IMEX, even people with strong BCP backgrounds find it necessary to take training courses/seminars in HACCP. Free, on-line courses also, i think, exist.

If you wish to test yr capabilities / likely constraints, i would suggest you have a look at the haccp textbook of Mortimore and Wallace, now into its 3rd or 4th edition. This is probably the No.1 best selling haccp textbook in the English language. It is substantially accessible as a Google book. IMO it has some of the clearest introductory material for haccp which you can find anywhere. It also contains excellently explained process examples to support the text and demonstrate how haccp can be practically implemented.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users